Pages

Wednesday 11 November 2009

Ally Pally or bust...

It's funny, whenever I've neglected my blog for too long I always feel the urge to confess and it makes me giggle. Forgive me readers, it has been far too long since my last contribution .......... and I'm not even Catholic for goodness sake! Anyhow, this year continues to fly by. I honestly have no idea where the time is going. I now have a new internet connection - and one that actually works properly all the time too! So I really have no excuse not to post a little more often. The shop needs restocking too and I can't complain that I can't upload pictures anymore so expect a big update this week.

I made it to Ally Pally again this year and I have to say even though I had a great day, I came away feeling a little bit disappointed. Maybe it's just that my fibre tastes are moving more and more to the spinning side of things at the minute but you could really see the effect of the recession beginning to bite. I got what I wanted more or less but I was able to easily stick to the budget this year. There were several companies that I really wanted to visit but they weren't there. I think that perhaps with more and more of these yarn events happening, I Knit, Rav day not to mention Woolfest and Fibrefest, the yarn stores are being much more careful about where they spend their money.
Here's some of the Colchester knitters at the end of the day in front of the rather impressive knitted ship in the foyer. Looking at the size of some of the bags that people came out with, I was fairly circumspect in my purchases.
Roving from Piiku. On their stand they'd got some really impressive crocheted and felted mats mats made from some of this. I think this one is destined to be a table runner of some kind. I'm still deliberating at the mo. It might end up as a bag.
Jamieson and Smith shetland spindrift, enough for a pair of mittens.
and finally, sock yarn. It's fabulously red and is for a wrap/shawl to replace my ratty pashmina of the same colour. Other than some beads, in the end that's all I bought for me. Still, it;s what I wanted more or less and I certainly don't need any more sock yarn as my stash is overflowing.

2 comments:

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

you might not have shoppped till you dropped but uou got some fab stuff!*

scarletti said...

Love the red in the sock yarn, it's like a jewel.